Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

To share additional feedback about your experience with Labs, please take this short survey

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. API endpoint for getting bookmarks

Get all bookmarked tweets by me

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Okta Twitter
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

acknowledged  ·  5 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. alt text via API

Images in tweets should have their alt text available via API. Make it obvious. Here is where I would have expected to find it: https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/tweets/data-dictionary/overview/entities-object#media

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GET statuses/likers/ids endpoint

Why don't we have the same kind of statuses/retweeters/ids endpoint but for likes, in order to get all the user ids who liked a particular tweet ?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. API response should contain descriptive error messages for actions that are forbidden

When I try to hide a Tweet in a thread that wasn’t started by the authenticating user, I get the response:

(
    [title] => Forbidden
    [type] => about:blank
    [status] => 403
    [detail] => Forbidden
    )

I understand that this action should actually be forbidden, but the error in the API response doesn't tell me why the action is forbidden (which is that the authenticating user is trying to hide a Tweet in a thread that wasn't started by the authenticating user)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add endpoints for muted keywords

We need a way to manage muted keywords, similar to the existing endpoints for muted users:

GET mutes/keywords/list
    POST mutes/keywords/create
    POST mutes/keywords/destroy

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  3 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Button to see poll result

Really often, people on Twitter define a choice on their poll just to let people not concerned see the result. Why not providing a simple button to let anybody see the result without having to choose an answer ?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Who to follow API

Add an API version of the popular "Who to follow" link seen at lower right on the home page: https://twitter.com/<...>/whotofollow .
    (Currently it uses non-public APIs under the hood.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  3 comments  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Split personal pictures and memes in media

Can be interesting to split in two the type of medias in user profiles.
    1/ Personal pictures of the user (where he is tagged)
    2/ All the rest (gif, memes, etc.)
    Currently it's a little bit messy when you want to check the medias of a user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Poll with images

It's a pity to not be able to create a poll providing images on the same tweet. Why not adding it, like you did for retweet few years ago ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Control scope of tweets individually

The evolution of this week was really interesting, but I would go further and like Facebook, let the user decides WHO can see a tweet (everybody, only my followers, our only the mentioned users).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Integration of twitter login flow for mobile apps and websites

A lab for building a simple login flow using the REST API and HTTP headers would do us a world of good. Detailed steps with how to build structured messages (I am aware that this is documented in fair detail but a lab form would additionally help us test our individual solutions as well) along with reference implementation and standard value outputs against which bespoke solutions can be tested. Along with the above a list of reference implementations for various languages such as Javascript, Java, Python would help as well. I am still stuck at Twitter login and am struggling…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Authentication Automation

I am not sure if this should be located here. But developers like myself use end to end automation tests for ensuring the quality of our libraries.

At the moment there is no way of properly handling authentication flow tests.

Could you provide a title trusted user or any solution that enable us to not be limited by the classic security restrictions applied to apps in order to enabl us to have end to end tests around authentication.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Build a conversation updates API

I would like to recommend building a conversations API that enables developers to track updates to full conversation threads. This API would retrieve the entire conversation that a Tweet is in, and return all Tweets and replies within a given thread. This API would enable developers to go from a Tweet of interest to all replies in the thread, without having to recursively search for Tweets with the correct "inreplytostatusid".

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  5 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Missing entitiy operator is:reply

If I want to filter for original tweets only I can use -is:retweet and -is:quote, but then I still receive tweets which are discussion replies. I can filter them out manually as a work around by checking for inreplytouserid values in the streams data fields, but having a is:reply entitiy operator would be very useful and save traffic and processing power on both sides.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add an Endpoint for Aggregate Video Metrics Across Tweets

It would be really helpful to have an analytics endpoint in which the entity was a media ID (in my case a video ID) and you could request engagement & video metrics aggregated at the video level, even if that video appeared across many different tweets. Right now this is possible through the Engagement API for video views only, but it would be great if it were available through the Ads API & included seconds/minutes viewed, percentile completions, call to action clicks, etc.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  3 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Date of last activity in Get labs/2/users expansions

It's useful to have the date of last activity of a user. Before we could deduce it from the most recent tweet but now it's gone in v2 and it become really tricky to get this information.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Optionally prevent the standard search API from searching in screen names and user mentions

The standard search API is somehow regarding screen name as part of text body and therefore is also searching in screen names. That can cause the search results to contain irrelevant tweets. For example, searching the word "nature" can return @human_nature's tweets whose text bodies don't contain the word "nature".

A similar issue applies to user mentions. For example, searching the word "nature" can return tweets which contain user mention @human_nature and don't contain the word "nature".

Please consider implementing an option which prevents the standard search API from searching in screen names and user mentions. Thanks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Search bar for your individual timeline

Implementing a search bar solely for your timeline will save users from wasting time trying to remember tweets when they refresh the app. Instead of having to scroll down, search for the tweet with words that are constantly used in the atmosphere, and for those that may have forgotten to bookmark it immediately upon sight.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Wildcards in filtered stream

Wildcards would be very nice to have in filtered streams: Customers want them, and there is no way to emulate it on our side.

When a query term contains a * character, * would match any character in a tweet, one or more time. When a query term contains a ? character, ? would match any character, exactly one time.

For example, Tw*ter would match Twitter, Tweeter, Twiter, Tweetter.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. First Tweet containing a hashtag

Surface is the first tweet in the hashtag, to know the founder of the hashtag, it is his right; and also there are those who use the hashtag for no purpose intended for topic of the hashtag (no objection to it), but you are tired to reach the news for which the hashtag was founded due to the large number of tweets outside the same topic.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base