Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

To share additional feedback about your experience with Labs, please take this short survey

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Accept or deny follower requests (when tweets are protected)

It will be really useful to be able to accept/deny follower requests with Twitter API when tweets are protected.
    This feature exists but currently this is not public.

When I try to call this endpoint :

POST https://api.twitter.com/1.1/friendships/accept.json?user_id=<follower id>

I've received : {"errors":[{"code":37,"message":"Not authorized to use this endpoint."}]} - HTTP Code : 403

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. More locations for Trends API

Some locations are not available in the Trends API, for example Uganda.

It would be great if the current list locations were expanded to include more locations, such as Uganda and cities in Uganda such as Kampala.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Twitter should provide more granular app permissions

Twitter currently offers three levels of app permissions: (1) read only; (2) read and write; (3) read, write and access Direct Messages. These options are not granular enough for some developers, and developers would like more options to choose from.

For example, an app’s “write” permission could be segmented into more granular options: (1) write access to a user’s profile; (2) write access to a user’s network (follow/unfollow, mute, block, list modification); (3) write access to a user’s timeline, including the permission to Tweet, Retweet, or like a post.

Another example includes Sign In With Twitter: there could be an…

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  10 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make custom lists more powerful

The current list management is good to keep for example our "best friends" in one place, but the usage behind it is really limited.
    Why not allow several filters in the home page (not in another menu) to display only the tweets of a selected list, and give the possibility to exclude retweets of other users ? It will be useful to follow several persons in priority when you follow too many people.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Search bar for your individual timeline

Implementing a search bar solely for your timeline will save users from wasting time trying to remember tweets when they refresh the app. Instead of having to scroll down, search for the tweet with words that are constantly used in the atmosphere, and for those that may have forgotten to bookmark it immediately upon sight.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Build a conversation updates API

I would like to recommend building a conversations API that enables developers to track updates to full conversation threads. This API would retrieve the entire conversation that a Tweet is in, and return all Tweets and replies within a given thread. This API would enable developers to go from a Tweet of interest to all replies in the thread, without having to recursively search for Tweets with the correct "inreplytostatusid".

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  5 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Contact Tab

Being able to place your contact information in a tab within your bio. Great for networking and leaving space for more details in your bio in general.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Filtered Stream

Extra Rules and Tweet allowance for Filtered Stream.

We have an integration with the Filtered Stream API and on-boarding some private beta customers.

I expect we'll exhaust the number of Rules and volume of Tweets with a handful of customers soon.

Idea: - option(s) to opt into extra Rules/volume of Tweets.

PAYG model would work or having a Premium Filtered Stream API offering please.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Split personal pictures and memes in media

Can be interesting to split in two the type of medias in user profiles.
    1/ Personal pictures of the user (where he is tagged)
    2/ All the rest (gif, memes, etc.)
    Currently it's a little bit messy when you want to check the medias of a user.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Poll with images

It's a pity to not be able to create a poll providing images on the same tweet. Why not adding it, like you did for retweet few years ago ?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Control scope of tweets individually

The evolution of this week was really interesting, but I would go further and like Facebook, let the user decides WHO can see a tweet (everybody, only my followers, our only the mentioned users).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Likes Feature

Having the ability to hide certain likes on your portfolio so they can remain hidden or seen under your control.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bug: incorrect like_count stats in the sample stream

I got this json data out of https://api.twitter.com/labs/1/tweets/stream/sample?format=detailed

This tweet https://twitter.com/theA1wife/status/1236899957858164736 has ~20K likes right now, though the stats in the json show 0 like_count.

I apologize if this isn't where bugs go, but I didn't find anywhere else to post this.

```

{

&quot;data&quot;: {
    &quot;id&quot;: &quot;1236899957858164736&quot;,
    &quot;created_at&quot;: &quot;2020-03-09T06:21:45.000Z&quot;,
    &quot;text&quot;: &quot;RT @JLo: Wait for it! @AROD <a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="https://t.co/MNAxO0z2BA">https://t.co/MNAxO0z2BA</a> <a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="https://t.co/PZIlDlTvyt&quot;">https://t.co/PZIlDlTvyt&quot;</a>,
    &quot;author_id&quot;: &quot;960338257190862849&quot;,
    &quot;referenced_tweets&quot;: [
    {
    &quot;type&quot;: &quot;retweeted&quot;,
    &quot;id&quot;: &quot;1236865771692670976&quot;
    }
    ],
    &quot;attachments&quot;: {
    &quot;media_keys&quot;: [
    &quot;7_1236865730156494848&quot;
    ]
    },
    &quot;entities&quot;: {
    &quot;urls&quot;: [
    {
    &quot;start&quot;: 28,
    &quot;end&quot;: 51,
    &quot;url&quot;: &quot;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="https://t.co/MNAxO0z2BA&quot;">https://t.co/MNAxO0z2BA&quot;</a>,
    &quot;expanded_url&quot;: &quot;<a rel="nofollow
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

closed  ·  1 comment  ·  Sampled stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bring back "tags" to new search endpoints

Query tags are such a useful and simple feature... These essentially enable developers to inject a tag string into the returned payload... These tag strings can be used to record what query was used to match the data, and are helpful in segregating data into logical groups.

Tags are supported in enterprise and premium search, and I am wondering what the future is with Labs and beyond. Note that tags remain a thing with Labs filtered stream.

I am working on a project where a search endpoint is used to process a long list of queries, and not having tags…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Recent search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Integration of twitter login flow for mobile apps and websites

A lab for building a simple login flow using the REST API and HTTP headers would do us a world of good. Detailed steps with how to build structured messages (I am aware that this is documented in fair detail but a lab form would additionally help us test our individual solutions as well) along with reference implementation and standard value outputs against which bespoke solutions can be tested. Along with the above a list of reference implementations for various languages such as Javascript, Java, Python would help as well. I am still stuck at Twitter login and am struggling…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Change the limit on user_timeline for the authenticated user own timeline

The user_timeline endpoint currently has a hard limit of only fetching the most recent 3,200 tweets. I understand this limit if the authenticated user is requesting for timeline tweets from another user. But what if the limit could be changed when the authenticated user is fetching tweets from his own timeline, e.g. the most recent 10,000 tweets or all? Other platforms such as Instagram allow you to fetch all of your media from your profile.

Thanks.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Date of last activity in Get labs/2/users expansions

It's useful to have the date of last activity of a user. Before we could deduce it from the most recent tweet but now it's gone in v2 and it become really tricky to get this information.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make the endpoint rate limited at user level instead of app level

We have built a social media management app that allows our customers to also view insights for their social accounts and posts.

Every midnight we refresh insights for all posts published via our app in the past 7 days.

For Twitter, we're only recording the number of favorites and retweets (returned by the /tweets endpoint), but we would like to gather more metrics, such as impressions, # of replies and video views.

The current rate limit is 15 requests / 15 minutes and 50 Tweets / request.

This basically means we can gather metrics for only 15 customers at a…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Tweet Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Missing entitiy operator is:reply

If I want to filter for original tweets only I can use -is:retweet and -is:quote, but then I still receive tweets which are discussion replies. I can filter them out manually as a work around by checking for inreplytouserid values in the streams data fields, but having a is:reply entitiy operator would be very useful and save traffic and processing power on both sides.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Show when a Tweet is hidden in the Tweet payload

The Tweet payload should contain a field that indicates whether a Tweet has been hidden. This can help people maintain display consistency regardless of where they manage their Twitter accounts. Researchers can find the field useful to understand circumstances such as relevancy, confusion and abuse.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base