Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

To share additional feedback about your experience with Labs, please take this short survey

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide developers with an API testing console

As a new developer, I want a lightweight way to make an API call within the documentation with little setup involved. I need to see and evaluate quickly what a request and response looks like for a specific endpoint.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Okta Twitter
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include Reach in metrics API

Include message lifetime reach (unique impressions) and profile-level daily reach metrics for messages. This provides better insight into the number of individuals that saw a specific tweet or content associated with a profile/brand.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Tweet Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Moments API

I was trying to summarize a conference in a moment with over 64 tweets. Trying to organize those manually moving them up and down 1-by-1 on the site was a pain (as many people tweet things not quite in chronological order of the conference or if you sorted once and want to add more later, it's hard).

It'd be great to expose the API for creating/editing moments so that other tools could help push the experience of capturing events or help to correlate topics and insert into proper places.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Be able to get all the retweeters ids instead of the last 100 only

It would be useful to be able to retrieve more than 100 results calling GET statuses/retweeters/ids
    The current limitation doesn't make sense.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Consistency for "Likes" and "Favorites"

Language consistency would be helpful.

• API Representation uses "favorites", but the current Twitter interface uses "likes".

• In the documentation for "Account Activity API" notes "likes", while in "Search Tweets" notes as "favorites".

• Perhaps not all of us are aware that "favorites" is a precedent of "likes".

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Programmatically unhide a Tweet

Provide a way to programmatically unhide a previously hidden Tweet, given appropriate user consent.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Recommend and endorse a good Twitter library

Twitter could include a list of approved Twitter libraries for different programming languages in the documentation. This would equip developers with robust resources and help them know which resources they can rely on to use the Twitter API.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  7 comments  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow to access historical replies for a depth of a year for subscribed users

As hiding criterias tend to change over time (eg global grey-list of unwanted commenters to hide), I wish my app would be able to retroactively access (and hide/unhide) historical replies to historical tweets of subscribed users with a depth of eg at least a year from now.

At least, to access the list of replies my app had previously hidden.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! This is not currently on our roadmap, but keeping track of the replies that have been hidden by your app should be fairly straightforward to do on your end. It would be helpful if you could give us additional insight into why this feature is important for you and tell us more about your use case.

9. Allow to serve 10Ks-100Ks of users subscribed for a HideReplies app

Allow a free-plan developer to serve 10Ks-100Ks of users subscribed for a "hide replies" allowing to hide tweets nearly real-time as they happen (provided that an app is capable to deal with such a firehose).

This at least requires easy access to a stream of direct and indirect replies to the users subscribed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Filters other than the rules I created

The following is written on this page.
    "The stream leverages some of our content filtering technology where we exclude high-confidence noisy content."
    https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/labs/filtered-stream/faq

This is a different filter than the one I created.
    To make sure that my filters work properly, I need to turn off content filtering technology.
    I want to create an option that does not use content filtering technology.
    It is up to each user to get the data to determine which tweets are noisy.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Richer Direct Messaging API to enable creating more powerful BOTs

To enable a truly rich bot experience on Twitter, the API is missing things like:
    - Cards message type (image + text + buttons +swipe left/right)
    - Buttons and menus as part of message (not only Quick Replies)
    - A more integrated webview, that is an integral part of the bot experience (for example the bot sends a "pick your seat" button which opens a small size web widget right in the chat to pick the seat, and then goes back to the main chat bot flow)
    And most important:
    the fixed limit of 15k DM regardless of number of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

closed  ·  1 comment  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Build a more accessible version of the engagement metrics API

Twitter could build a more affordable version of the enterprise Engagement API, which would provide developers with Tweet metrics for owned Tweets.

Engagement data returned by the API includes number of Likes, Retweets, replies, impressions, and engagements (for example, number of link clicks). This API would enable developers to better understand their reach and impact on Twitter.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Geo enrichment

Gnip PowerTrack has a "Profile Geo" enrichment [0].

Adding this to the filtered streams API would make migrations easier.

[0] https://support.gnip.com/enrichments/profile_geo.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Proximity operator

From the operator reference [0], the filtered streams appear to lack the proximity operator, that existed in Gnip PowerTrack.

Having this in the filtered stream API would make it easier to migrate from Gnip.

Additionally, in PowerTrack the maximum proximity value is 6. Increasing this limit would make the operator extra useful.

[0] https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/labs/filtered-stream/operators

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Trending spots

Add more trending stations/places, like for north Indians its only Delhi.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add an option to forward a tweet

To enable one to send a tweet to a group

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Access to Image Crop Information

Is there any plan to allow access to the cropping rectangles that are associated with each media image? These are called focusrects and are nested under the originalinfo property of extended_entities.media and could be passed along with the rest of the media info in the API request.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add premium endpoints for the following/followers endpoints

At www.contexto.io and www.graphext.com we provide our customers the possibility of mapping and expanding Twitter communities leveraging the social graph. This allows us to get really contextual, relevant and different insights that most social media analytics tools offer (they mostly count keywords that matches a boolean query).

We currently use the free API following/followers endpoints for this right now but with the new policy starting this month we cannot make more than 100K requests/day which prevent us from scaling our product. We would be very happy to pay for a premium endpoint like this!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. GraphQL

While I understand the motivation for the separate "expansions" in the GET Tweets endpoint, I wonder if you have considered using GraphQL to allow the user to determine the shape of the tweet data returned?

In adding support for the labs endpoint to twarc [1] I found that I wanted to knit back together the data that is separated out into tweets. If GraphQL was used I don't think this would be necessary.

I would be curious to know if Twitter Labs considered switching to GraphQL for fetching tweets and users.

[1] https://github.com/docnow/twarc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. labs/1/tweets and Get labs/1/users rate limits

It appears that the user-auth rate limits in the labs API is shared among all users.
    I could see however that app-auth limits are separate, so there is distinction between app-auth vs user-auth, just not working as expected

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base