Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. API endpoint for getting bookmarks

Get all bookmarked tweets by me

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Okta Twitter
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a filter to return only currently promoted tweets

Currently there is no way to only return promoted tweets. With a "filter:promoted" filter option, it would be possible to only return promoted tweets combined with other search terms.

This feature would help researchers and increase ad transparency.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Optionally prevent the standard search API from searching in screen names and user mentions

The standard search API is somehow regarding screen name as part of text body and therefore is also searching in screen names. That can cause the search results to contain irrelevant tweets. For example, searching the word "nature" can return @human_nature's tweets whose text bodies don't contain the word "nature".

A similar issue applies to user mentions. For example, searching the word "nature" can return tweets which contain user mention @human_nature and don't contain the word "nature".

Please consider implementing an option which prevents the standard search API from searching in screen names and user mentions. Thanks.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. alt text via API

Images in tweets should have their alt text available via API. Make it obvious. Here is where I would have expected to find it: https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/tweets/data-dictionary/overview/entities-object#media

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. GraphQL

While I understand the motivation for the separate "expansions" in the GET Tweets endpoint, I wonder if you have considered using GraphQL to allow the user to determine the shape of the tweet data returned?

In adding support for the labs endpoint to twarc [1] I found that I wanted to knit back together the data that is separated out into tweets. If GraphQL was used I don't think this would be necessary.

I would be curious to know if Twitter Labs considered switching to GraphQL for fetching tweets and users.

[1] https://github.com/docnow/twarc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a field to signal when media is being withheld by country

Add a field to know when media is being withheld by country

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  4 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Access to Image Crop Information

Is there any plan to allow access to the cropping rectangles that are associated with each media image? These are called focusrects and are nested under the originalinfo property of extended_entities.media and could be passed along with the rest of the media info in the API request.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. labs/1/tweets and Get labs/1/users rate limits

It appears that the user-auth rate limits in the labs API is shared among all users.
    I could see however that app-auth limits are separate, so there is distinction between app-auth vs user-auth, just not working as expected

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base