Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

To share additional feedback about your experience with Labs, please take this short survey

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. GraphQL

While I understand the motivation for the separate "expansions" in the GET Tweets endpoint, I wonder if you have considered using GraphQL to allow the user to determine the shape of the tweet data returned?

In adding support for the labs endpoint to twarc [1] I found that I wanted to knit back together the data that is separated out into tweets. If GraphQL was used I don't think this would be necessary.

I would be curious to know if Twitter Labs considered switching to GraphQL for fetching tweets and users.

[1] https://github.com/docnow/twarc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Okta Twitter
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow API access to tweet analytics CSVs

Specifically, some kind of way to download the csvs produced by exporting https://analytics.twitter.com/user/[INSERT DATA]/tweets given OAuth read (or even read/write) scope would be really useful

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Card Validator: Display all meta-tags?

Description of issue: Could the Card Validator be updated to show all the meta-tags? As it is, it shows the count of metatags, and a somewhat interesting one, like this:

INFO: Page fetched successfully
    INFO: 23 metatags were found
    INFO: twitter:card = summary_large_image tag found
    INFO: Card loaded successfully

My request: It would be helpful to display all the tags, not just twitter:card.

Extra credit: Highlight the tags that Twitter will actually use in the card. This would be helpful when similar tags are present, e.g., twitter:text:title and twitter:title

URL affected (must be public): https://lochlymelodge.com

[Troubleshooting steps](https://twittercommunity.com/t/not-whitelisted-unable-to-render-or-no-image-what-to-do-next/62736)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show app developer profile on app authorization screen

The app authorization screen that shows up whenever a user is authorizing / logging in using twitter with a twitter app for the first time should also display the app owner twitter account. Like a "Made by: @TwitterAPI ..." box

As a user, I find it reassuring to see that an app developer has an active presence on Twitter, and as a developer, i'd like to be open about the app purpose and ownership.

eg: https://developer.twitter.com/content/dam/developer-twitter/images/ScreenShot2015-03-20-authorize-card.png this screen should contain something like the profile popup displaying Name, screen_name, description, whether the account follows me and "Followed by ...…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tweet translation should be available through the API

Build a new request operator that can be included in an API request, and returns a translation of the Tweet text in the Tweet payload. Supported languages should be the same languages that are supported by the "lang:" request operator.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Split personal pictures and memes in media

Can be interesting to split in two the type of medias in user profiles.
    1/ Personal pictures of the user (where he is tagged)
    2/ All the rest (gif, memes, etc.)
    Currently it's a little bit messy when you want to check the medias of a user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Poll with images

It's a pity to not be able to create a poll providing images on the same tweet. Why not adding it, like you did for retweet few years ago ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Control scope of tweets individually

The evolution of this week was really interesting, but I would go further and like Facebook, let the user decides WHO can see a tweet (everybody, only my followers, our only the mentioned users).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Authentication Automation

I am not sure if this should be located here. But developers like myself use end to end automation tests for ensuring the quality of our libraries.

At the moment there is no way of properly handling authentication flow tests.

Could you provide a title trusted user or any solution that enable us to not be limited by the classic security restrictions applied to apps in order to enabl us to have end to end tests around authentication.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. First Tweet containing a hashtag

Surface is the first tweet in the hashtag, to know the founder of the hashtag, it is his right; and also there are those who use the hashtag for no purpose intended for topic of the hashtag (no objection to it), but you are tired to reach the news for which the hashtag was founded due to the large number of tweets outside the same topic.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Trending spots

Add more trending stations/places, like for north Indians its only Delhi.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add an option to forward a tweet

To enable one to send a tweet to a group

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Data Fixtures for Twitter API's

Building applications on top of API's are always harder to test. The API's evolve, causing unencountered responses and downtimes.
    App developers are usually late in identifying failure cases when things breakdown. It is why we write tests.

But with hundreds of API's collecting data for tests is duplication of efforts if someone already have done that.

To make life easier for all developers, how about a collaborative space where we can dump our data fixtures (Github?)

I would be glad to contribute as we have been working with Twitter API for the past eight years and have written thousands of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. labs/1/users errors collection

The new error collection is awesome! I am glad that we can now understand why fewer items are returned than requested.
    However, the errors are not always useful, in some cases you get
    title:"Forbidden"
    type:"about:blank"
    detail:"Forbidden"

1. It is not clear which element caused this error since the error index is not correlated with the input id index, ideally there should be a reference to which id caused this error, and the order of the results returned seems random.

2. It is not clear what's the reason for this error, in cases when we are returning a list, it's probably not…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Search bar for your individual timeline

Implementing a search bar solely for your timeline will save users from wasting time trying to remember tweets when they refresh the app. Instead of having to scroll down, search for the tweet with words that are constantly used in the atmosphere, and for those that may have forgotten to bookmark it immediately upon sight.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Integration of twitter login flow for mobile apps and websites

A lab for building a simple login flow using the REST API and HTTP headers would do us a world of good. Detailed steps with how to build structured messages (I am aware that this is documented in fair detail but a lab form would additionally help us test our individual solutions as well) along with reference implementation and standard value outputs against which bespoke solutions can be tested. Along with the above a list of reference implementations for various languages such as Javascript, Java, Python would help as well. I am still stuck at Twitter login and am struggling…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I'd like the ability to get followers for a user but in a sorted manner.

Right now you can definitely get all the followers of a user, but I want to be able to sort those results by particular properties. So for example, I may want to sort my followers by the number of followers they have, in order to see my most "important" followers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Change the limit on user_timeline for the authenticated user own timeline

The user_timeline endpoint currently has a hard limit of only fetching the most recent 3,200 tweets. I understand this limit if the authenticated user is requesting for timeline tweets from another user. But what if the limit could be changed when the authenticated user is fetching tweets from his own timeline, e.g. the most recent 10,000 tweets or all? Other platforms such as Instagram allow you to fetch all of your media from your profile.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Missing entitiy operator is:reply

If I want to filter for original tweets only I can use -is:retweet and -is:quote, but then I still receive tweets which are discussion replies. I can filter them out manually as a work around by checking for inreplytouserid values in the streams data fields, but having a is:reply entitiy operator would be very useful and save traffic and processing power on both sides.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base