Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

To share additional feedback about your experience with Labs, please take this short survey

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to access historical replies for a depth of a year for subscribed users

As hiding criterias tend to change over time (eg global grey-list of unwanted commenters to hide), I wish my app would be able to retroactively access (and hide/unhide) historical replies to historical tweets of subscribed users with a depth of eg at least a year from now.

At least, to access the list of replies my app had previously hidden.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Aurelia Specker responded

Thanks for the feedback! This is not currently on our roadmap, but keeping track of the replies that have been hidden by your app should be fairly straightforward to do on your end. It would be helpful if you could give us additional insight into why this feature is important for you and tell us more about your use case.

2. Allow to serve 10Ks-100Ks of users subscribed for a HideReplies app

Allow a free-plan developer to serve 10Ks-100Ks of users subscribed for a "hide replies" allowing to hide tweets nearly real-time as they happen (provided that an app is capable to deal with such a firehose).

This at least requires easy access to a stream of direct and indirect replies to the users subscribed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Aurelia Specker responded

Thanks for your suggestions! We are currently considering higher rate limits. Additionally, you can already access a stream of (in)direct replies to a subscribed user with the Account Activity API.

3. Bypass "sign in with twitter" when using browser embedded in native Twitter app

If you are using a native Twitter app such as the Twitter app on Android, if you click on a link to a website, which uses "sign in with twitter" to authenticate the user, the user is forced to login again, even though they are already authenticated with Twitter in the native app.

In a perfect world this secondary sign in would not be necessary, and would reduce a lot of friction.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    closed  ·  Aurelia Specker responded

I appreciate that this is a frustrating experience, but unfortunately we have no immediate plans to change this. Hence, closing for now.

4. Data Fixtures for Twitter API's

Building applications on top of API's are always harder to test. The API's evolve, causing unencountered responses and downtimes.
    App developers are usually late in identifying failure cases when things breakdown. It is why we write tests.

But with hundreds of API's collecting data for tests is duplication of efforts if someone already have done that.

To make life easier for all developers, how about a collaborative space where we can dump our data fixtures (Github?)

I would be glad to contribute as we have been working with Twitter API for the past eight years and have written thousands of…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. labs/1/users errors collection

The new error collection is awesome! I am glad that we can now understand why fewer items are returned than requested.
    However, the errors are not always useful, in some cases you get
    title:"Forbidden"
    type:"about:blank"
    detail:"Forbidden"

1. It is not clear which element caused this error since the error index is not correlated with the input id index, ideally there should be a reference to which id caused this error, and the order of the results returned seems random.

2. It is not clear what's the reason for this error, in cases when we are returning a list, it's probably not…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide an SLA

Describe the level commitment (and dedication) to APIs.

What are the thresholds for usage & overall sunsetting of service?

What criteria will be used to make significant changes?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Twitter Profile Handle Actions

Twitter Handles as Profile Image instead of spelt out handles that perform actions.

In twitter Compose a user begins to type out a users handle, like @Apple but instead of @Apple the Profile Image for @Apple shows instead . Like an emoji. This reduces character count in tweets the full handle is a single handle profile handle image.

The tweet to the receiver is to many mentioned handles has profile handles profile images instead of spelt out full @TwitterHandles

The actions to @Handles can the be executed in various ways. The receiver can single tap a Profile Handle Image to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Twitter Ratings

I have an idea for Twitter Ratings.
    The idea is to simplify what people are saying on Twitter instead of having to read through all the tweets.

How it would work would be if you send out a tweet about a movie, Twitter will then ask you what you would rate the movie on a scale of 1-5 star rating. Then Twitter will use this information and display the results of everyones rating at the top of the search results of the given movie.

This could work for TV Shows, Movies, and even Consumer Products.

Considering Netflix has no rating…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please give us the option to remove followers

Instagram have recently given users the ability to remove followers instead of blocking them to remove them. I please request that Twitter also give us this option and not notify the users they have been removed from following us.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Follow, block, and mute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Synced drafts

For drafted tweets to be synced with my account, whether I reinstall the app or change platforms, my drafts are synced throughout all platforms

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Search for files

Add files section to the search, lately I noticed a lot of people post files that could help me and it will be easier for me to find it if there was a filter for files

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide Users With More Options for Organization

Notifications appear in time order, which is fine. It can, however, become very disorganized quickly! This is particularly true when multiple users are replying. There are times when I don't want these messages, but there's no effective way to remove them. If one of the tweets in your notifications becomes popular, it can make finding other content a harrowing experience. (I've tried muting a user, the conversation and phrases, the messages still get through). There's a simple fix for these issues. First, give the user the option to delete a notice. Secondly, while notices can continue to be grouped in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to filter unread DMs

We want to have the ability to filter unread DMs from the time of account creation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bookmark Folders

The ‘bookmarks’ feature was an amazing addition, but many users have complained about how unorganized it can get. Many are pleading for the ‘folders’ feature to be added, so can they separate their save tweets based on preference. Adding this feature would make users’ experience on Twitter so much better.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. More locations for Trends API

Some locations are not available in the Trends API, for example Uganda.

It would be great if the current list locations were expanded to include more locations, such as Uganda and cities in Uganda such as Kampala.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make custom lists more powerful

The current list management is good to keep for example our "best friends" in one place, but the usage behind it is really limited.
    Why not allow several filters in the home page (not in another menu) to display only the tweets of a selected list, and give the possibility to exclude retweets of other users ? It will be useful to follow several persons in priority when you follow too many people.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Contact Tab

Being able to place your contact information in a tab within your bio. Great for networking and leaving space for more details in your bio in general.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Likes Feature

Having the ability to hide certain likes on your portfolio so they can remain hidden or seen under your control.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back "tags" to new search endpoints

Query tags are such a useful and simple feature... These essentially enable developers to inject a tag string into the returned payload... These tag strings can be used to record what query was used to match the data, and are helpful in segregating data into logical groups.

Tags are supported in enterprise and premium search, and I am wondering what the future is with Labs and beyond. Note that tags remain a thing with Labs filtered stream.

I am working on a project where a search endpoint is used to process a long list of queries, and not having tags…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Recent search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base