Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

To share additional feedback about your experience with Labs, please take this short survey

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Twitter should provide more granular app permissions

Twitter currently offers three levels of app permissions: (1) read only; (2) read and write; (3) read, write and access Direct Messages. These options are not granular enough for some developers, and developers would like more options to choose from.

For example, an app’s “write” permission could be segmented into more granular options: (1) write access to a user’s profile; (2) write access to a user’s network (follow/unfollow, mute, block, list modification); (3) write access to a user’s timeline, including the permission to Tweet, Retweet, or like a post.

Another example includes Sign In With Twitter: there could be an…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Okta Twitter
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  9 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide developers with an API testing console

As a new developer, I want a lightweight way to make an API call within the documentation with little setup involved. I need to see and evaluate quickly what a request and response looks like for a specific endpoint.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the endpoint rate limited at user level instead of app level

We have built a social media management app that allows our customers to also view insights for their social accounts and posts.

Every midnight we refresh insights for all posts published via our app in the past 7 days.

For Twitter, we're only recording the number of favorites and retweets (returned by the /tweets endpoint), but we would like to gather more metrics, such as impressions, # of replies and video views.

The current rate limit is 15 requests / 15 minutes and 50 Tweets / request.

This basically means we can gather metrics for only 15 customers at a…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Tweet Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Include "url_clicks" in Tweet Metrics endpoint

We use the Engagement APIs extensively in our product. We currently have to use a combination of the /totals endpoint with the /28hour and /historical endpoints to get "urlclicks." Right now, the new Metrics labs endpoint provides all the great metrics that our customers want in a single endpoint except for "urlclicks."

Without "urlclicks" it would be difficult to transition off of any of the Engagement APIs to a new Tweet Metrics endpoint. If this new endpoint had "urlclicks" we could replace all of our Engagement API usage pretty quickly and have better, more accurate data…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Tweet Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide developers with an app usage tracking tool

Twitter could include a tool in the developer portal that enables developers to monitor and manage usage across the different APIs, and helps them avoid unexpected rate limiting.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documentation and resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Accept or deny follower requests (when tweets are protected)

It will be really useful to be able to accept/deny follower requests with Twitter API when tweets are protected.
    This feature exists but currently this is not public.

When I try to call this endpoint :

POST https://api.twitter.com/1.1/friendships/accept.json?user_id=<follower id>

I've received : {"errors":[{"code":37,"message":"Not authorized to use this endpoint."}]} - HTTP Code : 403

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add premium endpoints for the following/followers endpoints

At www.contexto.io and www.graphext.com we provide our customers the possibility of mapping and expanding Twitter communities leveraging the social graph. This allows us to get really contextual, relevant and different insights that most social media analytics tools offer (they mostly count keywords that matches a boolean query).

We currently use the free API following/followers endpoints for this right now but with the new policy starting this month we cannot make more than 100K requests/day which prevent us from scaling our product. We would be very happy to pay for a premium endpoint like this!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add premium detailed engagement metrics end point

It would be great if we can have another endpoint for metrics that would provide stats like the 28hr end point, so we can have more detailed metrics (link clicks, profile clicks etc) as well as hourly metrics

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Tweet Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Longer queries in filtered stream

Queries can only contain a limited number of terms and characters. It would be very useful to increase this llimit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide an SLA

Describe the level commitment (and dedication) to APIs.

What are the thresholds for usage & overall sunsetting of service?

What criteria will be used to make significant changes?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Filtered Stream

Extra Rules and Tweet allowance for Filtered Stream.

We have an integration with the Filtered Stream API and on-boarding some private beta customers.

I expect we'll exhaust the number of Rules and volume of Tweets with a handful of customers soon.

Idea: - option(s) to opt into extra Rules/volume of Tweets.

PAYG model would work or having a Premium Filtered Stream API offering please.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Display to the user the day of the month the Tweet counter resets.

I recently hit my monthly cap on the number of Tweets I consumed. I understand that this counter will reset on the day of the month I first enrolled for Labs. I can not find that date anywhere in the Labs UI. Please show me that date!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Need a way to manage compliance (deleted Tweets) while using Sampled stream

I currently use the statuses/sample endpoint to stream 1% of Tweets and related compliance events for those Tweets. Having the deleted Tweet events helps me know when Tweets I've received are no longer available so that my database and application stay compliant with Twitter's policies.

Please give me a similar compatible and convenient way to keep the data received from Sampled stream compliant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sampled stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base