Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter Developer Labs

We want to hear your ideas for Twitter Developer Labs! How would you improve the current available endpoints in Labs, and what other things would you like us to consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

To share additional feedback about your experience with Labs, please take this short survey

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Metric that indicates how many users have saved your tweet as a bookmark

I think this metric is a unique way to gauge long-term engagement among users. Retweets can be likened to quick, instinctive reactions to content, but I think there is value in also providing users with measures that indicate more deliberative reactions (a good way to delineate these user behaviours can be best explained through 'System 1' vs 'System 2' thinking).

For instance, suppose a professor tweets about a recently published academic paper. Whilst retweets provide insight into timely reactions, the academic might want to also keep track of other users who might potentially revisit/avail of their published content in the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Okta Twitter
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tweet Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. First Tweet containing a hashtag

Surface is the first tweet in the hashtag, to know the founder of the hashtag, it is his right; and also there are those who use the hashtag for no purpose intended for topic of the hashtag (no objection to it), but you are tired to reach the news for which the hashtag was founded due to the large number of tweets outside the same topic.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I'd like the ability to get followers for a user but in a sorted manner.

Right now you can definitely get all the followers of a user, but I want to be able to sort those results by particular properties. So for example, I may want to sort my followers by the number of followers they have, in order to see my most "important" followers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show when a Tweet is hidden in the Tweet payload

The Tweet payload should contain a field that indicates whether a Tweet has been hidden. This can help people maintain display consistency regardless of where they manage their Twitter accounts. Researchers can find the field useful to understand circumstances such as relevancy, confusion and abuse.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Change the limit on user_timeline for the authenticated user own timeline

The user_timeline endpoint currently has a hard limit of only fetching the most recent 3,200 tweets. I understand this limit if the authenticated user is requesting for timeline tweets from another user. But what if the limit could be changed when the authenticated user is fetching tweets from his own timeline, e.g. the most recent 10,000 tweets or all? Other platforms such as Instagram allow you to fetch all of your media from your profile.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Follow, block, and mute Introduction

As we build the next generation of the Twitter API, we’re looking at how to rebuild the “follower graph” endpoints. Whether or not you’ve used the follow, search, and get users, or the mute, block and report users endpoints, we want to hear what you think. This is an effort to continue building in the open: sharing our roadmap and keeping you updated on our vision. As we have done in Twitter Developer Labs, this plan is not final, and with your feedback, will evolve over time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Follow, block, and mute  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  GET users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Filtered Stream monthly limits

I read in this announcement https://twittercommunity.com/t/new-filtered-stream-endpoints-available-in-labs-and-the-future-of-statuses-filter/129888 that the new Filtered Stream endpoint, available in Labs, will be subject to monthly limits on the amount of tweets retrieved.
    Do you think that this kind of limitation will also be present in the version released in the future?

I didn't find this kind of limitation on the old endpoint "statuses/filter".
    In this answer on stackoverflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34962677/twitter-streaming-api-limits
    , the idea of a limit on the endpoint "status/filter" based on the amount of tweets delivered within a certain percentage threshold compared to the totality of tweets generated on twitter was mentioned.
    I find that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Twitter and users improvements

Adding a trial or a demo developer account would be a great and fantastic idea because it well help the users to try something new and make them very interesting and in the other hand it well help twitter seeing their actions and knowing if they are able to be responsible of the developer account or not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Accept or deny follower requests (when tweets are protected)

It will be really useful to be able to accept/deny follower requests with Twitter API when tweets are protected.
    This feature exists but currently this is not public.

When I try to call this endpoint :

POST https://api.twitter.com/1.1/friendships/accept.json?user_id=<follower id>

I've received : {"errors":[{"code":37,"message":"Not authorized to use this endpoint."}]} - HTTP Code : 403

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Longer queries in filtered stream

Queries can only contain a limited number of terms and characters. It would be very useful to increase this llimit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. API endpoint for reporting counterfeit digital goods

Please add an API endpoint for reporting accounts that are selling counterfeit digital goods. Hundreds of accounts are selling Netflix accounts, Spotify, and more. Just search "Netflix Premium Account" and see what I'm referring to. Why is this permitted? Can you please offer more through the API so we can help stop this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add a field to signal when media is being withheld by country

Add a field to know when media is being withheld by country

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  4 comments  ·  GET Tweets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Retrieve a list of hidden replies to a given Tweet

Developers may need to retrieve a list of hidden replies for a specific Tweet. This can be useful to obtain a list of Tweets can can be unhidden, given appropriate user consent. Developers can also create aggregate reporting via this API (for example, count how many Tweets are hidden per conversation, or per time period).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add "name" and "screen_name" to the response data of Recent search API

In the published standard search API, these parameters are in a single tweet object.

・User object

Screen_name and name are important elements in User Object.
    Now we have to expand. This is very inconvenient.

Please add "name" and "screen_name" to the response data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  2 comments  ·  Recent search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Filtered Stream

Extra Rules and Tweet allowance for Filtered Stream.

We have an integration with the Filtered Stream API and on-boarding some private beta customers.

I expect we'll exhaust the number of Rules and volume of Tweets with a handful of customers soon.

Idea: - option(s) to opt into extra Rules/volume of Tweets.

PAYG model would work or having a Premium Filtered Stream API offering please.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add support for "sample" operator

Support for the sample: operator. Many use cases would benefit from random samples. For example, sample:10 would return 10% across each hour...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Recent search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Change Filter Rules API, Lengths and Limits

Currently 1 rule is limited to 512 characters, and there are 10 rules.

The rules API would make more sense if there was a limit on operators and a number of them, rather than the character length of rules. For example: when using multiple follow:user or follow:id it can get unpredictable due to the varied length of screen_names and user IDs created before 64bit snowflake user ids.

To make the rules API more useful, there should instead be a limit on the number of specified operators, not rules or rule character lengths.

This way, i should be able to specify…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Filtered stream  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are aware of this ask, but we will not be making any changes to this in the near-future. As such, I am going to close this suggestion. However, please continue to vote for this idea if it resonates with you.

19. Add the “order” of the image

Retrieve tweets using Labs’ Recent search API.
    I referenced the images in the order included in mediakeys, but obviously not in the order displayed on twitter’s web.
    But, the order of the images is not included in media
    keys.

How do I know the order of images if tweet has multiple images attached?

For example, if a manga with a single story is posted with four images, like this:
    (TwitterWebURL)/shiromanta1020/status/917652272804380672
    This doesn’t make sense unless you read it in order.

In order to reproduce this “order”, it is necessary to add the “order” of the image as a response…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Recent search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Increase of Rate Limit

Hiding replies would be of massive value to our clients, but with the current rate limits, we wouldn't be able to meet their requirements.

Please can you provide forecasts as to when rate limits will be increased and what they will be increased to? Would this happen once the capability goes from Labs into live service?

Many thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hide replies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base