Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter for Academic Research

As we plan for the future of our developer platform we want to learn more from our academic community. What tools and resources would make it easier for you to conduct research with Twitter data, and what should we consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
  2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
  3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

Thank you for participating!

1. Understanding best practices for using Twitter data for research

I would like to use Twitter data as a referenced source for my research, however I don't know the guidelines and best practices for making sure I'm getting a reliable result or signal. Please give me a process to follow for ensuring I'm getting what I need.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Okta Twitter
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation & Resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Build a replication database for Twitter studies

Build infrastructure for researchers to store their data collection and analysis code to allow better replication of existing studies. So a database with "here's the published paper" and "here's the code we used for data collection and analysis".

Firs,t this would serve as a place for documentation and help on many methodological choices. Second, it might encourage large-scale replication studies, exploring how solid are some results emerging from Twitter data.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation & Resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Document the filtering rules for the search API

The freely available search API would be a great tool for research, but given that not all tweets are included (even in the ~7 day window), it can rule out certain types of studies, because it is not clear whether or how the search indexing rules might bias the sample.

To address this for academic research it would be great if the rules and approach for what is not indexed and why it is not indexed were clearly documented in a way that researchers could make decisions about appropriateness for their work.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. EU- VAT Invoices

As a student doing research at an EU University and I need to have VAT invoices to be reimbursed. Can VAT invoices be added as an option for premium billing?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Guidance on methodologies

I’d like to understand how to best use Twitter data to answer different types of research questions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Include citation score and impact factor for research papers tweeted and let governing bodies of academic research acknowledge the same

Let researchers publish their paper via twitter editorial board. Hope it will be sooner than the existing lazy editorial boards of journal biggies.

Give impact factor citation scores. Let the agencies that govern the academic policies involve twitter citations in their agenda.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

acknowledged  ·  1 comment  ·  Documentation & Resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Guidance on building a proper filter

I would like guidance on how to design a proper filter, rule or query to collect the data I need around a topic, trend or event.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base