Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter for Academic Research

As we plan for the future of our developer platform we want to learn more from our academic community. What tools and resources would make it easier for you to conduct research with Twitter data, and what should we consider building?

1. See what other ideas have been submitted and vote for ideas you like.
  2. If you have an idea that isn't already listed, create a new post.
  3. Include only one idea per post.

To start, we have added in a few ideas that have been suggested by developers in the past. Please vote or comment on those, if they reflect your own vision.

Thank you for participating!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Extend Historical Data For Academics

Academics should receive increased access (beyond seven days) to historical data. The seven-day limitation severely limits academic inquiry and is a primary driver behind extravagant costs for those using Twitter data in their research.

133 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  APIs & Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Raise Rate Limits For Academics

Academics should not be burdened with the same rate limits as those who access the APIs for commercial means. Lifting these rate limits would significantly increase the rate at which data could be gathered, creating cost and time efficiencies for those using Twitter data in their research.

89 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  APIs & Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. API account for Academia/Social Good

In addition to standard, premium, and enterprise API accounts, I hope there will be an option for Academia/Social/Non-Profit accounts. As a graduate student, it would be very exciting to have access to free/affordable large datasets.

94 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. covid-19 related datasets of tweets

Given the current need for data around covid-19 would you consider making relevant datasets containing tweet contents available now, possibly with some relaxed redistribution terms. There is a previous idea for datasets in general but right now there is a need for this data. Several groups are publishing different ID datasets but then anyone wanting it is having to pull down 70-300M matching tweets, that's going to be a load on your APIs and is slowing down access. I put a related topic up on the dev forums https://twittercommunity.com/t/covid-19-related-dataset-availability/136030

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  APIs & Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add accurate data on Replies and Likes to the Search API

In the current search API, the only form of engagement for which scholars currently get accurate metadata is RTs. There is no metadata field for Replies and the field for Likes does not return the number of times a tweet has been liked by other users. This information would be very valuable for academics, especially considering that the use of the "Like" button by users has increased substantially.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  APIs & Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Daniele Bernardi responded

The roadmap item mentioned by Aurelia has been shipped as part of release of the v2 Twitter API.

6. Understanding best practices for using Twitter data for research

I would like to use Twitter data as a referenced source for my research, however I don't know the guidelines and best practices for making sure I'm getting a reliable result or signal. Please give me a process to follow for ensuring I'm getting what I need.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation & Resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Additional URL metadata

Having the title, description or other URL specific metadata for links shared in Tweets would be helpful for additional signal.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Additional data types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Document the filtering rules for the search API

The freely available search API would be a great tool for research, but given that not all tweets are included (even in the ~7 day window), it can rule out certain types of studies, because it is not clear whether or how the search indexing rules might bias the sample.

To address this for academic research it would be great if the rules and approach for what is not indexed and why it is not indexed were clearly documented in a way that researchers could make decisions about appropriateness for their work.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation & Resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Topic annotations

The data available in the API would be more valuable if there were additional signals about the topics a Tweet is about.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Additional data types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Guidance on building a proper filter

I would like guidance on how to design a proper filter, rule or query to collect the data I need around a topic, trend or event.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation & Resources  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base