Twitter Developer Feedback

Twitter API

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to take control of their own data

Please ease the restrictions on getting their own friends/followers data.

Twitter's API restrictions are getting stricter every year, and starting with Twitter API v2, I understand the data that users will be able to retrieve via the API will decrease by 80%.
    Previously, with a single API call, users could retrieve 5,000 friends (or followers), but in the future, users will only be able to retrieve 1,000 friends (or followers). https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api/users/follows/migrate

I understand that this decision has been made from the perspective of sustainability of the service, but please reconsider restricting users from controlling their own data.

As one solution,…

114 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow users to search keywords in the DM direct message channels

Users are unable to search any words in the DM other than an exact name. This is a significant friction problem.

If we could search keywords for followers that want us to "notify" or of our Twitter Spaces directly, we could search them.

If we could search keywords we drop in the DM ourselves, we can quickly reconnect with specific connections.

It's a problem that if we don't spell someone's name exactly, we can't find their DM messages. This is especially a problem in an international community where we don't know how to spell names or remember them perfectly when…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. fleets

New Fleets feature should be added to API documentation.

110 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Users To React To Direct Messages

Currently the is no ability to react to messages,

Adding this can help third party applications building optimized conversations for companies and bring the full features of direct messaging

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Filter Stream API: Operator rule to "return more than X tweets per second" vs. specifying a percentage sample

A rule operator of "no more than X tweets per second" is very similar to sampling. However, if it existed, it could theoretically set on every rule. This would allow knowing that no rules could absorb too much of total allowed volume, and to make sure that low volume rules aren't sampled, while higher volume rules still are. It would also mean that a rule that has a sudden burst of activity would not absorb all available volume at once. Without this operator, monitoring the volume on rules must take place, and sampling must be applied dynamically when volume increases…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. API with Spaces

Spaces would be great to be included within the API. That will open the gates of opportunities for developers to integrate them into their apps.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make the API response object better structured

Currently, a response object like a tweet has a data field and includes field. This structure isn't really helpful, as the author is sent inside this "includes" field which also has other users, like a mentioned user. Instead of adding extra fields inside a totally seperate "includes" object, add these inside the "tweet" object itself. Like put the user who tweeted inside the "tweet.author" and the mentioned users inside "tweet.mentions" or something. These fields will not be present when they are not opted but will be present when opted in. This structure will really help library developers like me. As…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add endpoint for fetching authorized user using access token & secret [/@me]

Currently the only way to fetch a user is by either using ID or username, which is great for most usecases. However, most of the endpoints need the authorized user's ID in the path. As a library dev I don't want to force the user to pass the authorized user's ID everytime they call a method. So, as a workaround I ask them to pass the "username" along with other credentials during login. Then I use that "username" to fetch the authorized user and save it in the cache. This way I can automatically pass the authorized user's ID internally…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Reminder Data and Notifications

When a #TwitterSpaces reminder is triggered by a user, that the host is notified via their email with those Twitter handles that have requested reminder. Unless notifications are on in the app reminders can be missed, this way allows for increased interaction between creators and their audience/target market

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. allow users to download space audio file separately

I think many spaces hosts create amazing content on there platform engaging in very important conversations. I'm sure most would love to have an audio file where they can download and share to other platforms

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. WebSockets API for real-time events

It would be nice to have a WebSockets API for recieving real-time events for tweet create/delete, like/unlike, DMs and for many other events. You can look at Discord's Gateway for example. It will help you save resources as users won't be doing frequent requests to simulate these events and will also help developers create really cool things. I hope you have something like this planned.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Waiting for API for Twitter fleet

We are eagerly waiting for launch of API for Twitter fleet.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Adding the 'url' option in media.fields for videos

As in the title. The 'url' object is available for still images, but not for videos. This make absolutely NO SENSE. I would've thought this would be a major feature, and I wonder why it hasn't been included.....

The exclusion of this will affect thousands of API users, in my opinion.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Media includes missing a number of important fields

The variants data is missing, making videos impossible to play inline.

The embeddable field is also missing, this is used to indicate that the photo media is actually a video that can only be played in a web browser.

extalttext is missing.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Future of the Twitter API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. API endpoint to get monthly tweet quota data - return both usage and expiration

It appears that you are now enforcing a monthly cap on the number of tweets we can obtain via API.

This request is for programmatic access to this quota information. In particular, it would be helpful to retrieve both the number of tweets fetched for the current month, and the reset date. Thanks!

See here for specifics:

https://twittercommunity.com/t/filtered-stream-v2-how-to-get-monthly-limits-info/141702

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sample random users

We wanted to get a set of random user ids that are representative of the whole twitter space. Is there a way to get, for example, 1000, user ids from all users in the U.S.?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Twitter v2 Streaming API Rate Limits via API

Hey there,

Could you please add an endpoint for getting rate-limits to the twitter v2 streaming api. It's not practical to continuously login and check a dashboard. thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add poll to a status

It should be allowed to create polls when adding a status. I's possible to retrieve data from polls, but it's not possible to create polls with the API, it doesn't make sense.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base